3.5 Unity amidst diversity
- Scarboro Missions Golden Rule Poster. To view or order poster, click here.
- A listing of the 13 expressions of the Golden Rule. To access this listing, click here. To avoid printing all five available languages, select only the language you need.
- Prepare yourself
Prepare yourself for meditation by any means that you find to be effective. You may want to consider Appendix 4: Tips for preparing for meditation and reflection.
- Prepare yourself
- The Golden Rule
In a slow and reflective fashion, read the 13 expressions of the Golden Rule. Take as much time as you need with these writings.
- A golden image
Spend time gazing upon the poster as an image. Allow it to speak to you. Study the visual elements of the poster – its overall design, its various shapes, lines, colours. Consider how these various elements relate to one another. Reflect on the symbolic meaning of the poster.
- Making connections
There are those who claim that the Golden Rule assumes and teaches the following principles:
- the unity and interconnectedness of all persons
- universality and wholeness
- unity amidst diversity
As you continue to study the poster and meditate on the 13 writings, reflect on the following questions:
- Do you see a relationship between any or all of the 13 writings and any or all of the three principles listed above? Explain.
- Do you see any connection between the physical features of the poster and the principles listed above? Explain.
Jot down your thoughts.
- Record your thoughts
Spend some time gathering any insights or reflections that came to you during this exercise. Jot down your thoughts in a journal or on paper. To deepen your reflection, consider one or more of the following questions:
- What was it like for me to do this meditation?
- At what points during this meditation was I moved? Inspired? Challenged?
- What questions or issues have been raised for me?
- What new insights have I gained?
- What did I learn about myself?
- As a result of this meditation, what aspect of my life might I consider changing?
- As a result of this meditation, I feel moved to…..
- What did I learn about the Golden Rule? About the world we live in? About universal principles?
- A group experience
For instructions on how to adapt this meditation for a group experience, see Appendix 3: Application to a group experience.