2.4 A meditation on Shinto wisdom
Materials required: a listing of the 13 expressions of the Golden Rule. To access this listing, click here. To avoid printing all five available languages, select only the language you need.
- Prepare yourself
Prepare yourself for meditation by any means that you find to be effective. You may want to consider Appendix 4: Tips for preparing for meditation and reflection.
- The Golden Rule
In a slow and reflective fashion, read the 13 expressions of the Golden Rule. Take as much time as you need with these writings.
- Prepare yourself
- A Shinto wisdom statement“The heart of the person before you is a mirror; see there your own form.”Shintoism is the indigenous religion of Japan. Spend time reflecting on this Shinto wisdom statement. Take as much time as you need.
- Interacting wisdom statements
You have had some time to reflect on this Shinto wisdom statement and the 13 expressions of the Golden Rule. How do these two interact for you? To aid your reflection, consider one or more of the following questions:
- Does the Shinto wisdom statement give added meaning to the 13 expressions of the Golden Rule? If so, how does it add meaning? Conversely, do the 13 statements of the Golden Rule give added meaning to the Shinto statement? Explain.
- Which of the 13 expressions of the Golden Rule relate most directly to the Shinto statement? Explain.
- Are there ways in which the Shinto statement does not relate to the 13 expressions of the Golden Rule? Explain.
- In your own words
In your own words, re-write the Shinto wisdom statement, incorporating any new insights that you have garnered from your reflection thus far.
- Going deeper
Read the written reflections you have made throughout this meditation. To deepen your reflection, consider one or more of the following questions:
- What was it like for me to do this meditation exercise?
- At what points during this period of reflection was I moved? Inspired? Challenged?
- What questions or issues have been raised for me?
- What new insights have I gained in this process?
- What did I learn about myself?
- As a result of this meditation, what aspects of my life might I consider changing?
- As a result of this meditation, I feel moved to….
- What did I learn about the Golden Rule? About the world we live in?
- Record your thoughts
In your journal, record any thoughts, reflections or insights garnered in Step #6 and in the entire process.
- A group experience
For instructions on how to adapt this meditation for a group experience, see Appendix 3: Application to a group experience.